Better Palliative Care is a strategic priority for the Central LHIN.
We provide and manage palliative care services, and we fund other providers to support palliative and end-of-life care.
Working in partnership with patients, family members, caregivers, as well as funded and non-funded health service providers, we are committed to finding new ways to strengthen palliative care, support patients through their end-of-life, and support caregivers and family members through the spectrum of care before and after death. This includes strengthening access to culturally and linguistically appropriate care for vulnerable populations, including Francophone and Indigenous communities
Our 2018-2019 Annual Business Plan outlines the following goals to support Better Palliative Care:
- Patients have the choice to live their end-of-life period in their preferred location.
- Improved community access to essential supports and services, including advanced care planning.
- Easier system navigation for patients and caregivers.
- Palliative residents in Long-Term Care Homes will benefit from care providers with enhanced knowledge and skills to support them.
- Specialists will provide support and education to primary care providers to support their patients through their end-of-life journey.
- Patients and caregivers will contribute to on-going quality improvement and health service design and planning through enhanced opportunities to provide feedback.
Palliative and Hospice Services
Palliative Care Courses and Seminars
Various seminars, courses and events for health care professionals, volunteers, patients and family members are continuously being offered. For upcoming course offerings, please see HPC Teams for Central LHIN and PalCare Network for York Region.
Learn More About Palliative Care Priorities and Planning