Better Palliative Care is a strategic priority for the Central LHIN.
We fund a variety of providers to support end-of-life care, and we work with funded and non-funded health service providers to find new ways to strengthen palliative care, support patients through their end-of-life, and support families through the entire spectrum of care before and after death.
The Central LHIN's Regional Palliative Care Action Plan was developed based on recommendations from the LHIN's Regional Hospice Palliative Care Program Council and approved by the Central LHIN Board of Directors in 2014.
Over 2014 to 2016, working in collaboration with patients, families, care providers and key stakeholders, we continued to advance actions and support for palliative and hospice care.
Our 2017-2018 Annual Business Plan outlines the following goals to support Better Palliative Care:
- Patients have the choice to live their end-of-life period in their preferred location.
- Improved community access to essential supports and services, including advanced care planning.
- Easier system navigation for patients and caregivers.
- Palliative residents in Long-Term Care Homes will benefit from care providers with enhanced knowledge and skills to support them.
- Specialists will provide support and education to primary care providers to support their patients through their end-of-life journey.
- Patients and caregivers will contribute to on-going quality improvement and health service design and planning through enhanced opportunities to provide feedback.
In 2017, and to support ongoing development and delivery of a comprehensive, integrated and coordinated system for hospice palliative care:
Palliative Care News