Digital Health is a key enabler to many heath care services and can directly or indirectly affect the care of all patients. Central LHIN collaborates with several local, regional, and provincial digital health delivery partners and stakeholders to prioritize, plan and execute a number of digital health initiatives that benefit patients, caregivers, and providers in our region.
In 2018, the Central LHIN established a partnership with Toronto Central LHIN to collaborate on a Digital Health Strategy and delivery framework to strengthen coordination, alignment, capabilities and capacity to improve patient care. Our Digital Health Strategy focuses on:
- Facilitating seamless transitions for patients as they navigate across the health care system,
- Connecting Primary Care to digital tools, services and health information,
- Promoting the use of virtual care technology to facilitate delivery of care in the home, and
- Supporting patients through expanded access to personal health information.
Digital programs of particular focus in 2018/19 include:
Virtual Care Solutions for Patients
- Telemedicine – A video conferencing system that allows physicians to visit their patients virtually, allowing patients to receive in-home consultations and care.
- Telehomecare – This program allows COPD and CHF patients to electronically monitor their blood pressure, weight and other vitals using technology, while clinicians virtually monitor their results and provide consultation and support.
- Teleophthalmology – Provides persons with diabetes the opportunity to have their eyes screened for Retinopathy, an asymptomatic disease of the retina that could result in impairment or loss of vision, at a location close to home.
Digital Health Services and Solutions
- ConnectingOntario – A provincial Electronic Health Record to share patient health information across hospital information systems, home and community care, laboratory information systems, diagnostic imaging and drug information.
- eConnect – Provides Long-Term Care Homes with access to ConnectingOntario.
- Electronic Coordinated Care Plan – A digital solution that improves communication between circle of care members for a Health Link patient by facilitating the electronic sharing and updating of that patient’s Coordinated Care Plan.
- eConsult – A provincial digital tool that allows Primary Care Providers (physicians and nurse practitioners) to submit clinical questions to Specialists. The tool enables receipt of secure, timely advice from Specialists and can save patients significant time and travel.
- Specialist and Services Directory – This web-based Directory of Specialists and Community Services supports Primary Care Providers with comprehensive and regularly updated information on Specialists and other care services available to support their patients.
- Health Report Manager (HRM) – A provincial digital application that enables clinicians using an OntarioMD-certified EMR to receive patient medical reports electronically. HRM sends medical information and diagnostic imaging reports electronically into a patient's record within a clinician's EMR.
- eNotification – A near real-time electronic message sent through Health Report Manager to Primary Care Providers and Central LHIN Home and Community Care to notify them when their patients is admitted/discharged from a hospital in-patient unit or discharged from a hospital emergency department.
- eReferral – To support referrals between care providers quickly and securely, Central LHIN’s Resource Matching and Referral program manages eReferrals from Hospitals to Home and Community Care, Rehab/Complex Continuing Care, and some outpatient services.
- Integrated Assessment Record – A provincial digital application that enables patient assessment information to be securely shared across a patient’s circle of care, including Home and Community Care, Community Mental Health, Community Addictions, Inpatient Mental Health, Community Support Services and Long-Term Care.
For Questions or to Enrol:
- Patients, Caregivers and Family Members – Please speak directly with your health care provider.
- Primary Care Providers, Specialists or Health Service Providers – please email us CLHIN.DigitalHealth@lhins.on.ca