Strategic Direction and Priorities
As a crown agency of the Government of Ontario, the Central LHIN plans, funds, integrates and delivers health care services.
In 2017-2018, we funded:
- 9 Hospitals (seven public and two private)
- 46 Long-Term Care Homes
- 33 Community Support Service (CSS) providers
- 23 Mental Health and Addictions (MHA) service providers
- Two Community Health Centres (CHCs)
Also in 2017, with the passage of the Patients First Act in late 2016, our expanded mandate includes:
- Plan and provide front-line home and community care services, including mental health services;
- Manage the placement of persons into long-term care homes, supportive housing programs, chronic care and rehabilitation beds in hospitals;
- Engage with Primary Care providers on integration and fund non-physician Primary Care models such as Nurse Practitioner-Led Clinics;
- Have closer and more formal linkages with public health units.
As we undertake our work in system planning and patient services delivery, our focus is:
- Improving patient experience through patient-informed planning, reducing caregiver distress and improving coordination of care;
- Integrating the Health Links approach to care within Central LHIN sub-regions;
- Strengthening transitions in care through better collaboration between primary care providers, trans-disciplinary health care teams, hospitals, public health, community support services and home care;
- Identifying opportunities to improve access to care for high risk and vulnerable communities through population-based planning and innovative partnership collaboration;
- Enhancing access to mental health and addictions programs and support through improved service coordination, reduction of wait lists and increased program capacity;
- Improving sub-region based access to palliative care and end-of-life care;
- Increasing the focus on cultural sensitivity and the delivery of health care services to Indigenous people and French-speaking people in the Central LHIN.
Refer to the Priorities pages for program highlights, or see our 2018-2019 Annual Business Plan for a comprehensive summary of priorities and initiatives that we are working on in collaboration with patients, families, physicians, health services providers and other stakeholders.